On Reading, Carl Sagan's Baloney Sandwich


A Filipino, I'm a wide, wild reader, English. From a Facebook post, I'm reading Bulgarian-American Maria Popova's essay on an American mind titled "Carl Sagan On The Power Of Books And Reading As The Path To Democracy" (08 November 2017, Brain Pickings, brainpickings.org, source of image above). I will grant that Sagan is correct in reading books as path to democracy, but Sagan's claim to fame as The Baloney Detector is all that, baloney!

Sagan died 20 December 1996, so he barely experienced the digital universe while alive. The World Wide Web, aka Internet, has since changed the world of knowledge, mentally and materially, that whatever Sagan said will now have to be taken with a grain of silt.

Reading as path to democracy? Maybe.

Reading as the path to creativity, yes! I'm an excellent proof of that online, having uploaded 5,000 plus long essays since 2007. Check out just these 2 blogs of mine: "A Magazine Called Love, blogspot.com, where I make the claim, "Frank H, World's most highly original, creative writer online," and Creative Thinkering, blogspot.com, where lies my boast, "World's creative genius online, most prolific writer of non-fiction." I research and write from A to Z, from AI to Creative Thinkering to Crop Rotation to Entrepreneurship to Infusion of Innovations to Multiple Intelligences to Organic Matter to Partnerships to Redemption to Word 2013 to Youth to Zimbabwe. Mindworks, those.

Yes, as Miss Maria claims in an earlier essay, Sagan was "a cosmic sage, voracious reader, hopeless romantic, and brilliant philosopher" (03 January 2014, "The Baloney Detection Kit: Carl Sagan's Rules for Bullshit-Busting and Critical Thinking," brainpickings.org), but all that does not make Sagan Overall Genius! Miss Maria makes much of Sagan's "Baloney Detection Kit," which she and/or he claims is a "necessary cognitive fortification against propaganda, pseudoscience, and general falsehood." She says:

The kit, Sagan argues, isn't merely a tool of science – rather, it contains invaluable tools of healthy skepticism that apply just as elegantly, and just as necessarily, to everyday life. By adopting the kit, we can all shield ourselves against clueless guile and deliberate manipulation.

She says "Sagan shares nine of these tools," and I proceed to examine them; I now reproduce only the first 3, and you will see why:

1. Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the "facts."

2. Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.

3. Arguments from authority carry little weight – "authorities" have made mistakes in the past. They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts.

I summarize #1 into "Confirm facts independently." Nice, I have the Internet to do that.

I summarize #2 into "Encourage debate." Agree!

I summarize #3 into "Arguments from no authorities" – and immediately I tell myself:

Stop! If as Sagan says 'Arguments from authority carry little weight," then the same applies to him.

According to Carl Sagan himself,
what Carl Sagan is saying carries little weight!

The End.517

Comments