Let's Make PH The Virtual Careers Capital Of The World!


"Virtual" means "existing or resulting in essence or effect though not in actual fact, form, or name" – American Heritage Dictionary, thefreedictionary.com. Past retirement, what do I know about home-based professionals serving as virtual assistants in their individual virtual careers at home working for out-of-sight or offshore offices?

You're looking at my own virtual office for my own virtual career. You see a laptop (14-inch Lenovo ThinkPad, Core i7, 4 GB RAM), an external monitor (22-inch ViewSonic LED), and a generic external hard drive (500 GB). Not shown, my PLDT Ultera WiFi router. All these I know: Lenovo is the Chinese PC maker who bought IBM's laptop computers lock, stock & barrel; Core i7 is an advanced processor from Intel; GB is gigabytes, digital capacity; RAM is random access memory; LED is liquefied electronic display. All of that at my beck & call since at least 2013. All a delight for multi-tasking: looking inside my work and looking out of my world.

I'm a Filipino, based in Manila. Before I forget, I must tell you I'm 78, thank God! Now, what can a senior citizen who is a native Ilocano do with those devices? Plenty! In the last 3 years, with all that digital equipment, aided by my Lumix FZ100 authentic Lumix FZ100 digital superzoom, with which I took the above photograph in my real home 11 February 2016 (the genuine original photo onscreen was taken also by me 14 April 2007, with my now non-existent camera), among other things, I have edited and desktop-published 4 books: March 2016 Philippine Native Animals by Rene C Santiago et al, 200 pages, full color; September 2016 The Centenarian College Consumers Cooperative by RC Bautista et al, 140 pages; November 2016 Green Sugarcane Accounting by Teodoro C Mendoza, 152 pages; November 2017 Moving On From Woundedness To Wellness by Alegria Abellon Javier-Obien, 260 pages.

If I can do all that, all self-taught, so can you!

What cannot a millennial do? We know that PH is the social media capital of the world. I just had an insight on that fact: We Filipinos are digital savvy, sharp, skillful – we have the savoir-faire, the know-what and know-how to rule the intellectual part of the digital world if we wanted to.

What cannot a Filipino virtual assistant do if you helped him enough to build a virtual home office? Why don't we capitalize on those countrywide smarts and cultivate the country and

Let's Make PH The Virtual Careers Capital Of The World!

The  PH government should be paying attention to home-based digital jobs as virtual careers for Filipinos. I'm thinking of the relatively new but very active Department of Information & Communications Technology, DiCT, as the lead agency here. Initially, the DiCT can talk to government banks as well as private banks to provide loans to virtual assistants to the amount of at least P157,000 payable in 5 years.

And yes: Why not the DiCT include the seniors in virtual career loans? Right now I'm volunteering to show digital skeptics that age doesn't matter! @

Comments